back

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Homemade

In an attempt to eat less processed food and more homemade I have been taking the time to makes the following recipes.

A few years before my Dad passed away he started making these pickles. We both fell in love with them. Since I was working full time he would make a double batch and bring them to me whenever he made them. I am not sure where he got the recipe so if there is some one out there I can give credit for these fabulous pickles I would love to know. My favorite way to eat them is to make a cheese bagel sandwich with turkey pastrami, with melted provolone cheese over the pickles so that they don't fall off the sandwich.

So-Sweet-Squash Pickles:
3 small yellow squash thinly sliced
1 medium onion chopped
1 large sweet red pepper cut into stripes (1/4 inch)
1 Tbl salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 tsp mustard seed
3/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp ground mustard

In a large bowl, combine the squash, onion, red pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour; drain. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Remove from heat; cool.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 4 days before serving. Maybe stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Makes 4 cups.



Before I quit my gleaning job I was able to get 4 pounds of strawberries and borrow my Sister-in-Laws dehydrator. I sliced the strawberries all up and put them on the dehydrator for about a day and half. Freckle Foot loves these. I was getting freeze dried strawberries, apples and banana's from Costco but these work great.

No comments:

Post a Comment