back

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Broccoli Salad and Baked Potatoes

I have heard one of the ways to save money on grocery is to meal plan around the weekly sales adds. I do my meal planning once a month because it is hard for me to get to make multiple trips to the store. This week I was able to take advantage of a sale Fred Meyers was having.  Broccoli was .69 a pound and baked potatoes for .10 a pound.


I converted another recipe from my friend Managing Chaos.

Broccoli Salad
2 heads raw broccoli, stems trimmed
10 slices crisp bacon, chopped ( I omit the bacon to make it vegetarian)
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tb white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup raisins

Rinse the broccoli, cut into bite size pieces.
Mix sugar, white vinegar and raisins together for dressing.
Mix all together and chill.
I find this salad will only last over night in the frig. The broccoli begins to get soggy but some of my friends really like it a couple of days later.

Then baked potatoes and dressed them up with shredded cheese, green onions, some salad crunchy mix, and sour cream. It made a filling meal and it was cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment