back

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spelt Flour Sourdough Waffles

My husband loves waffles so I adapted this recipe from a friend who I will call Little Sis.  She is the little sister my parents never gave me but I was lucky enough to find along the way. The original recipe is delicious

Original Sour Dough Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast (2 tsp)
1 cup butter milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda

 Rita's Spelt Flour Sour Dough Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast (2 tsp)
2 cups warmed butter milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 cups Spelt flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda

Use a large mixing bowl- the batter will rise and double it's original volume
1. Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand to dissolve for abut 5 minutes.
2. Heat the milk till luke warm in the microwave.
3. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand over night at room temperature.
4. Just before cooking the waffles add 2 eggs and the 1/2 tsp baking soda.

This makes a pretty big batch I am not sure how many. There are always left over waffles that I throw in the freezer. Just put them in the toaster to reheat. Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment