back

Monday, March 8, 2010

Homemade No Bake Granola Bars- Just like Quaker Chewy Bars

This year I am on a quest to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our diet. Most of the granola bar have high fructose corn syrup. I found this No Bake granola bars but of course I had to mess with the recipe to eliminate the corn syrup.  I am also excited to play with the ingredients to make chocolate chip granola bars. Here is how I altered the recipe:

2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup rasins
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

My alterations to the recipe

1/2 cup Agave Nectar
1/2 cup Sunflower nut butter
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cardamom ( my favorite new spice)

1. In large bowl, combine cereal, rolled oats, cinnamon, cardamom and raisins; set aside
2. In small saucepan, combine brown sugar and Agave Nectar.
3. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly
4. Stir in Sunflower nut butter and vanilla, blend until smooth.
5. Pour over cereal mixture; mix well.
6. Press into ungreased 13"x9" pan.
7. Cool; cut into 24 bars.

Notes: This batch did turn out a little crumbly because the Agava Nectur does not crystalize like corn syrup or honey. I will try honey next time to see if it creates a firmer bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment